Fall 2019 Back-to-School Dates!
Be sure to mark your calendar with these back-to-school dates for new and returning students:
· Apollo Preview Days – 8/20-21 Students are encouraged to come to the school to get their Chromebook, pay fees, order a yearbook, buy grad party tickets, have their school photo taken, pick up their class schedule, etc. More details will be mailed home over the summer. See website for alphabet breakdown of times.
· Fall Sports & Tryouts begin – 8/19 See SHS athletics website for camp details and tryout times.
· First day of school for incoming freshmen – 9/3
· First day of school for all other grades (second day for freshmen) – 9/4
June Activities and Reminders:
You’re invited to these Sunset HS events:
· Apollos Unplugged, 6/6, 6:30 p.m. It’s the last Apollos Unplugged of the year. Join us to hear the musical talents of Sunset’s students in this student-run event. Look for signs when you enter the building to direct you to the performance location.
· Be part of the 2019-2020 Sunset High School Parent Teacher Organization Board – All positions on the Sunset PTO Board will be opening up at the end of the school year for election of new board members. We will be looking for a new President, Secretary, Treasurer, VP Concessions, VP Merchandise and VP Volunteer Coordinator (2-year commitments). In addition, all Committee Chair positions (one year commitments) will be open for new volunteers including: Business Office Support, College & Career Center, Counseling Office, Grad Party, Library, Name Tags/Parking Passes, Staff Appreciation and Wednesday Work Crew. Time commitments range from just a few hours one-time to more hours on an ongoing basis. See a detailed description of all positions here on the PTO website. Contact SHS PTO President Jill Eilers at PTOpresident@sunsetpto.com if you are interested in running for a board position or volunteering to chair a committee. Additional volunteer activities will be available for sign-up after the start of the new school year.
• 2019 Grad Party Volunteers, 6/10, 10:45 p.m. - 6/11, 4:00 a.m. Shifts There is still time to be a part of the 2019 Grad Party! We need more volunteers to help the night of the party. Please consider spending a couple of hours with us to make this event a night our Sunset Seniors will never forget! (You don’t need to be the parent of a senior to volunteer!) Sign up today! Grad Party Sign up 2019
• 2020 Grad Party Chair, Love party planning? We need someone to chair the 2020 Graduation Party (It is a great idea to co-chair with a friend). We have an excellent group of volunteers that are willing to help. We just need someone to lead. Contact Lori Lassere-Gullion or Jill Eilers, if interested.
· Need financial help to get a cap and gown? See your counselor. The counselors are here to help make sure all students can participate in graduation events.
· Attending the Grad Party? Students will be checking in to their assigned bus color, determined at senior breakfast, and loading in the regular bus loading zone in the SHS parking lot. Check-in begins at 10:20 p.m. Be sure to read the letter with final instructions carefully so you know what you can and cannot bring! And remember: photo ID is required at check-in. For a full list of detail, check out the Grad Party website: https://sites.google.com/site/sunsetapollosgradparty/home.
· Senior Letter of Recommendation Pre-work. If your student is considering colleges that use the Common Application or that require a consolidated letter of recommendation from their high school, be sure to read through the Senior Letter of Recommendation documents found here: http://sunsetcounseling.weebly.com/senior-letter-of-rec-packet.html. An Activities and Awards document will also help get you organized for all applications. Work on this document can be completed over the summer and will give students and their families a head start on the college application “season” that starts early next fall.
· Yearbook Information for 2019 Grad Class. Taking senior portraits this summer? Follow this link for senior portrait submission guidelines for the yearbook, and the baby/friendship ads order form: http://ellierozendaal.wixsite.com/rozendaalclassesshs/yearbook-information. This will also be the link to use to ensure that your senior photo submissions are in the book. A proof will be posted in December.
For All Apollos:
· Finals begin on Tuesday 6/11. The last set of final exams for the school year will begin on 6/11 with a modified class schedule each day. School will end at the normal time on 6/11, early dismal at 1:00 p.m. on 6/12, and it will end at 12:30 p.m. on 6/13 and 6/14. Link to the schedule here.
· Even during the summer, your financial donations support Sunset students and staff. If you have the ability to support Sunset High School financially, please consider one of programs supported by Sunset High School’s Parent Teacher Organization, a registered 501(c)(3) charitable organization:
· Cedar Mill and Bethany Community Libraries Encourage your student to read this summer by signing up for Summer Reading. Reading over the summer can help your student stay at their current reading level. Preregister now for summer reading at https://librarycedarmill.beanstack.com/ or in person starting June 1st. Earn a free book that can be picked up between July 16th & Aug. 25th and read more to be entered in drawings for other prizes. More details at http://bit.ly/CMBCLSR19
o SHS PTO Apollo Giving Program - Support Sunset student, staff and school programs by making your tax-deductible donation ($25 per student suggested) to Sunset PTO. Donation forms are located on the PTO website at: http://sunsetpto.com/donate/. Checks or PayPal payments are accepted as well as direct donations made on company giving/matching portals (search for “Sunset High School PTO Apollo Giving Program”). This year’s donations have already supported the new crosswalk on Cornell Road, the Leadership guest speaker, the Graduation Mentor program, the Holiday Charity Drive and many more school projects and programs.
o Double Your Impact of Volunteering and Donations – Match It! Remember to request company matching for both donations and SHS volunteer hours before the end of December. Sunset PTO received over $10K in company matches last year. Thank you to everyone who requested matches as it really makes a difference to Sunset’s programs. Search for “Sunset High School PTO” to report volunteer hours on company giving portals or make a donation and/or match request on your company portal by searching for “Sunset High School PTO Apollo Giving Program”.
o Amazon Smile Fundraiser - Support Sunset when you shop at Amazon. Access Amazon.com through https://smile.amazon.com/, choose SHS as your charitable organization, and then when you purchase items, Amazon will donate 0.5% of the purchase price to Sunset High School PTO. Your Amazon shopping experience will be exactly the same and the SHS PTO will earn money to continue to help the school. Bookmark the link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/93-0868697 and support SHS every time you shop. Sunset PTO received over $400 in donations from Amazon last year through this program.
See here for more information on all of programs and links/directions on how to donate. Thank you!
Best wishes to the class of 2019! And for everyone else, we’ll see you in September. Enjoy the summer!
6/4 – Tuesday
· Seniors: Final exams
· ISB Choir Concert – 6:30 p.m., Auditorium
· Seniors: Final exams
· Apollos Unplugged – 6:30 p.m.
6/7 – Friday
· Seniors: last day, senior breakfast, graduation practice, slide show – 8:00 a.m.
· Locker Clean Out – 1:00 p.m.
6/9 – Saturday
· ACT – 8:00 a.m.
6/10 – Monday
· Seniors: Graduation commencement – 7:30 p.m., University of Portland Chiles Center
· Seniors attending grad party: Bus loading begins at Sunset at 10:20 p.m.
6/11 – Tuesday
· Finals begin: 2nd period final today
6/12 – Wednesday
· Finals continue: 1st and 3rd period finals today, modified schedule
· Buses depart early – 1:00 p.m.
6/13 – Thursday
· Finals continue: 4th and 6th period finals today, modified schedule
· Buses depart early – 12:30 p.m.
6/14 – Friday
· LAST DAY of school for students
· Finals continue: 5th and 7th period finals today, modified schedule
· Buses depart early – 12:30 p.m.
6/17 – Monday
· NO SCHOOL for students – grading day for teachers
· Activities/events listed here take place at Sunset HS unless noted otherwise. When you arrive, look for signs indicating the meeting room.
· Dates/times can change due to weather and unforeseen circumstances.