Sometimes we seem to learn effortlessly, other times we struggle to master the basics of a new or advanced subject. In either case it is important to maintain honesty and integrity in your efforts and work.
In accordance with our mission statement, we at Sunset High School believe in the academic, social, and ethical well being of our students. As a result, the academic integrity policy and procedure was developed in an effort to foster, teach, and encourage appropriate ethical behavior.
A full explanation can be found on the first page of the Policies and Procedures page in the student planer. Below are the key elements of the policy that deserve emphasis and attention.
Cheating includes, but is not limited to:
- Copying from others or allowing others to copy from you
- Collaborating on assignments without authorization
- Using unauthorized materials
- Presenting work created by another as your own
- Re-using work from one class in another without permission
- Falsification of evidence or research findings
Plagiarism includes, but is not limited to:
- Quoting another person’s words, sentences, paragraphs, or entire work without
- acknowledgment of the source
- Utilizing another person’s ideas, theories, or opinions without acknowledgment
- Downloading, cutting and pasting, or even just rewording portions of websites or resources like Wikipedia is a form of plagiarism
- Grade reduction on the assignment in question including awarding of a zero with no opportunity for make up including extra-credit
- Notification of parents and the vice-principal
- Notification of student counselor
- “F” grade for the quarter (an F may equal 0-59 points)
- Notification of National Honors Society which may include revoking of membership
- Notification of teachers who have written letters of recommendation for student
- Letters of recommendation to colleges withdrawn or amended
- Notification of scholarship and award committees
- Possible removal from IB program and classes. This includes, but is not limited to, plagiarism or cheating on an Internal Assessment or Extended Essay