With the advent of COVID-19, Beaverton School District's use of chromebooks for all students radically changed. Chromebooks are being asked to do more and more. If you have questions or issues this is the place to visit for immediate help. See the section Chromebook Status below. At beginning of each school year, all Sunset students in grades 9 - 12 are automatically enrolled in the District's Chromebook Damage/Loss Protection Program.
See more information on the District Chromebook website
Current Issues: - Zoom Crashing - Beaverton School District and districts around the country are seeing student chromebooks crashing or loosing the Zoom connection when teachers share their screen. For example when a teacher Zooms with 20 or 30 students and shares their screen - a handful of students may have this issue.
We are in contact with Zoom engineering on this and their initial request is for students to do the following BEFORE joining a Zoom class:
- Close any uneeded browser tabs prior to starting the Zoom meeting.
- Especially stop any other streaming services on the chromebook such as Netflix, Spotify, etc.
- Do not use a virtual background as this really increases the system workload.
- When possible students should Zoom with the power supply attached and plugged in.
- Start each day of classes by restarting their chromebook which will clear out any lingering Zoom remnants from the previous days work.
The goal here is to reduce the work load on the chromebook and reduce the demand on the system in general.
Update 10/15/20 - Zoom is planning on releasing a new Zoom app by Early/Mid December.
If you still have issues contact the Student Help Desk - Always include your ID# - school device or personal device - describe the issue - provide a screen shot if possible. firstname.lastname@example.org
Help Line M - F 8:30-3:30 503356-4656
Chromebook Swap Times - We are counting on students to try the fixes listed above before seeking a replacement. Bring in your chromebook and charger and student ID# - and a description of the issue.
Mondays 8AM - 10AM Wednesdays 10AM - 1PM
Drive into the front parking lot and you will be greeted by a staff person