Class of 2021
The grad night party is an annual event that offers Sunset High School’s newest graduates a safe, drug-free and alcohol-free event to celebrate their exciting high school graduation. The party goes “all night” and includes transportation to and from the venue, delicious food, and a wide range of fun activities planned to appeal to a variety of student interests.
Sunset High School
IB World School
John Huelskamp, Principal
Chris Bick, Assistant Principal
Shawn Davitt, Assistant Principal
Cheri Martin, Assistant Principal
April 04, 2019,
Dear Seniors and Parents/Guardians:
Let me congratulate you as we approach graduation for the Class of 2019. Approximately 520 seniors will graduate on June 10, and your graduation marks an important milestone for you and your families. All of us at Sunset are proud of your accomplishments.
High school graduation is an event that comes only once in a lifetime, and we want to make sure that this ceremony honors everyone. The information in this letter contains important details about the events leading up to graduation. Your attention to these details can help ensure a smooth end to the school year and a dignified, respectful commencement ceremony. Please take a few moments to review this information, and feel free to contact an administrator if you have questions.
The next few weeks will perhaps be the most important to our seniors. To ensure a successful graduation, seniors should follow these guidelines:
- Attend every class for the remainder of the school year. Make sure you prepare and study so that you will pass with the highest academic standing possible.
- Avoid circumstances that will prohibit you from being allowed to participate in graduation.
Graduation is a great time to celebrate. The celebration, however, should not deter you from achieving your goals in the future. In other words, drive safely, do not use drugs or alcohol, take care of yourself, and make healthy choices.
The graduation ceremony will be held at the University of Portland Chiles Center. I would like to encourage your support and cooperation in honoring our graduating seniors by separating the graduation ceremony from the celebration that follows. The focus during the ceremony on June 10 should remain on the stage where graduating seniors and presenters should receive our full attention.
Only students who have met graduation requirements will be allowed to participate in the ceremony. If you are failing any of your courses or in jeopardy of failing one or more courses, please contact your teacher and/or counselor to create a plan to graduate.
Please be aware that diplomas, transcripts, and grades will be held in June until all fines and fees have been cleared. Please check your email regularly to verify overdue books and books that will need to be returned.
The Sunset staff shares in the joy of our students and their families as they look forward to June 10. We thank you for your efforts in making this day possible.
Si necesiten interpretación en español, favor de llamar a Maria Samayoa al 503-356-2986.
• APRIL 9 • SENIOR ASSEMBLY and CLASS PICTURE
The Senior Assembly will be held in the gymnasium at 1:00 PM. The Senior Class Panoramic photo will be taken following the assembly. If you would like to purchase the class picture, follow the instructions on the enclosed Dorian photo envelope and have your student return it to Sunset or follow the mailing instructions. At the Senior Assembly students will receive information about the senior awards night, the senior breakfast, graduation practice, graduation, and the grad party. Attendance is required.
• APRIL 16 & 23 • CAP AND GOWN DISTRIBUTION
Jostens will distribute pre-ordered graduation items on April 16 and April 23. Please visit Sunset's Community Room during lunches to pick up these items. If you have not ordered your cap and gown, please contact Jostens at 503-690-7488. Caps and gowns are required at the graduation ceremony. Please see your counselor if you need financial assistance.
• APRIL 17 • CONFIRMATION OF SPELLING OF NAME ON DIPLOMA DUE
Please verify the spelling of your name on your diploma. Your name, as it appears in Synergy, is what will be printed on your diploma. If you would like your middle name removed, please contact our registrar, Karen Buckley, in the counseling office or email her at email@example.com to make any changes prior to April 17.
• APRIL 22 • SENIOR SURVEY OPENS
The online Senior Survey opens. A link will be posted in the Announcements section of the Senior CANVAS page. Information from this survey will be used in the Graduation Program. The Survey closes on May 10.
• MAY 10 • SENIOR “MOST LIKELY” NOMINATIONS DUE- Forms located in the Main Office and M-1.
• MAY 10 • SENIOR SLIDE SHOW PHOTOS DUE
On June 7, seniors are invited to attend the Senior Slide Show in the auditorium. The slide show is sponsored by the ASB leadership class. If seniors are interested in having a picture(s) in the slide show, they must submit their photos by May 10. Seniors may submit up to five (5) photos per person. Hard copies of the photos may be submitted to the Main Office or an electronic copy may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The leadership class is accepting all kinds of pictures of Sunset seniors for the slide show (as long as it is appropriate for school). Hard copies will not be returned.
• MAY 11 • PROM • Montgomery Park, 2701 NW Vaughn St., Portland, from 8:00 to 11:00 PM
Prom Night Tips for Parents
From The Century Council and the American School Counselor Association
• Make sure your child has a plan for the evening and that you know it.
• Take stock of the alcohol in your home.
• Know who is driving – if it's a limo, check their policy on allowing alcohol in the vehicle.
• Discuss the school's prom rules with your child and the consequences for violating them.
• Discuss distracted and impaired driving.
• Do not rent hotel rooms for prom-goers.
• Communicate with other parents and school officials.
• Stay up for prom-goer's return home.
• MAY 13-17 • GRADUATION CEREMONY TICKETS AVAILABLE
An admission ticket will be required for seating in the Chiles Center where the ceremony will be held. Each senior may pick up their tickets during the week of May 13-17.
Due to the size of the senior class and the new capacity regulations at the Chiles Center at the University of Portland, all seniors will receive six (6) tickets to the Commencement Ceremony. There will not be any additional tickets distributed. School fines must be cleared prior to receiving tickets.
• MAY 30, 7:00 PM • SENIOR AWARDS NIGHT • AUDITORIUM
Seniors, parents and faculty will recognize seniors receiving local or school honors, scholarships, or other awards during this night of recognition. Seniors receiving awards will be notified in advance. All seniors and their families are invited to attend.
• JUNE 3 • SENIOR LOCKER CLEAN OUT NEEDS TO BE COMPLETE
• JUNE 3-6 • SENIOR FINAL EXAMS- Seniors will take finals during this week.
• JUNE 7, 8:00 AM • SENIOR BREAKFAST • CAFETERIA
Sunset hosts a breakfast for graduating seniors on June 7, their last day at Sunset. The breakfast will be hosted in the commons area beginning at 8:00 AM and will be followed by graduation practice in the gym. Students should dress nicely for this event.
• JUNE 7, 9:00 AM • GRADUATION PRACTICE • GYM
Seniors who plan to participate in the graduation ceremony are required to attend the graduation practice. We will review the seating arrangement and practice the processional and recessional so that everyone knows what is expected. Seniors will also be able to order their final transcripts for college. Graduation practice will last about 60 minutes and will be followed by the senior slide show in the auditorium.
• JUNE 7, 10:30 AM • SENIOR SLIDE SHOW • AUDITORIUM
• JUNE 10, 7:30 PM • COMMENCEMENT • CHILES CENTER, UNIVERSITY OF PORTLAND
Doors to the Chiles Center open at 6 PM. Seniors need to arrive in the robing area behind the main arena by 6:30 PM. The robing area is restricted to Sunset students and staff members. Seniors should enter the robing area through the doors nearest to Portsmouth Boulevard.
Seniors will be seated in alphabetical order for the ceremony with the exception of IB Diploma candidates, AVID graduates and Madrigals. A seating chart will be posted at Sunset prior to graduation. For parents, seating at the Chiles Center is on a first-come, first-serve basis. There will be some limited, reserved seating for those in wheelchairs or with similar needs. Seating begins at 6 PM and the ceremony begins at 7:30 PM. Parking is available on the University of Portland campus near the Chiles Center.
PROFESSIONAL PHOTOS OF THE GRADUATION CEREMONY
The professional photographers of Dorian will be employed at graduation. You will receive more information and order forms with your graduation tickets.
GRADUATION CEREMONY MISCELLANEOUS
We expect our graduating seniors to dress in attire that matches the significance of this event. Caps and gowns need to be worn as issued. Messages or alterations to the caps are not allowed.
Seniors should not bring coats, purses, cell phones, or other valuables with them to the robing area. It is not a secure area. These items should be left with parents.
· All seniors must be at the Chiles Center no later than 6:30 PM on June 10, 2019.
· Parent and family seating will be available at 6 PM.
· Each senior will receive a medallion and diploma cover.
· Diplomas will be mailed to your home in late June. Each senior must have earned all required credits and have no outstanding fees or fines to be eligible to receive his/her diploma.
· Students who are awarded cords, medals, or hoods by Sunset High School are encouraged to wear them during the ceremony.
• FINES AND FEES
All fines and fees must be paid in order to receive your diploma, transcript, and/or final semester grades. Final grades are mailed in June.